Is your little eater ready to explore bursting flavours? You may have already introduced fish to baby, and she might be ready to graduate to the next step. What’s better than freshly cooked homemade fish sticks? Fish sticks with homemade tartar sauce!
This recipe is SUPER easy and will enlighten your little’s taste buds to another level. Keep in mind that this recipe calls for mayonnaise - which contains eggs and salt. It may be best to wait until baby is old enough to consume both items. As always, consult with your doctor if you are unsure!
Here’s what you’ll need for the Tartar Sauce:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 dill pickles, chopped
1/2 tablespoon of fresh dil, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Pinch of sugar
Pinch of black pepper
Optional: 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Add all of the above ingredients to the 1-Step Food Maker Deluxe.
- Press “Blend” for 30 seconds. Ensure consistency is aligned with baby’s needs (press and hold blend again if needed).
It’s that easy! This recipe is perfect for little eaters that love fish. It can also be a great spread on a piece of toast for an afternoon snack. Whichever way you prefer to use it, it will sure be a hit at home for all.
How to make Homemade Fish Sticks!
These fish sticks can be pan fried or baked.
What you’ll need:
Your choice of a firm, white fish. You’ll need about 2 fillets for this recipe, cut into fingers sized pieces.
1/3 cup flour
1 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons parsley
1 teaspoon lemon
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/10 teaspoon black pepper
What you’ll do:
- Pre-heat oven to 425F (bake). Pat fish dry. Place flour in a plate, and eggs in another. In a third plate, mix together bread crumbs, lemon, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper powder.
- If baking: Prepare the baking tray by spraying oil across the surface and spread a thin layer of bread crumbs.
- Coat fish sticks one by one in the following order - flour, eggs, and finally the breadcrumbs mixture. Shake to remove excess coating.
- Place on a baking tray or pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, flipping half way through OR pan fry for 6-8 minutes until crispy.
- Serve with Homemade Tartar Sauce!
Aisha is a Pakistani Canadian mother who found herself looking for ways to keep up with home cooking as a new mom of 3. She started her Instagram @baby.eatts to share simple and nutritious meals that she makes for her experienced eaters Zenya (8 years), and Aydin (6 years), and her new little eater, Amiri (6 months). With her recipes and tips, Aisha hopes to help other moms have a fun, easy, and fulfilling journey with their newest member at the dinner table.