These are the BEST Homemade Empanadas! Filling, Dough, and Homemade Chipotle Sauce recipes can all be found below!
Did you know empanadas can be filled with dry fruits, cheese, and or meat?!
This recipe includes spices that baby may have not tried yet. We reco leaving them out for new eaters. Always consult your pediatrician before introducing baby to new foods and spices.
BEST Empanada Filling
The BEST part is that the delicious stuffing is all prepared using the Baby Brezza 1-Step Food Maker Deluxe!
- 1 whole potato, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lbs. ground beef or chicken
- 1/2 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 1/2 red capsicum
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 3/4 cup beef broth if using beef, chicken broth if using chicken.
- Salt to taste
- Add ground beef or chicken to your Baby Brezza 1-Step Food Maker Deluxe and steam for 10 minutes.
- Add peeled and diced potato, carrot, celery, and green peas (keep the ground beef or chicken inside your Baby Brezza). Press steam for 20 minutes.
- Drain the water from your food maker, add all seasonings, and then press steam for 2 minutes.
- Add broth. If you do not have broth, you can simply add water.
- Steam for another 10-15 minutes, until the stuffing is dry and all liquid has been absorbed. Add salt to taste.
- Lastly, press blend for 15 seconds or until desired consistency has been reached. Your stuffing is ready!
- Prepare dough and sauce.
Easy Empanada Dough
If you’re doubting your dough-making skills, try frozen or canned pre-made dough.
- 3 cups levelled all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter, cut into small cubes (unsalted to limit sodium intake for littles)
- 1 whisked egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Whisk together the flour and salt.
- Slowly add cubes of butter in increments and mix with hands until the batter is a clumpy consistency.
- Add the egg and water in increments and continue mixing. Again, this will form a clumpy consistency. Add more milk/water as needed to ensure a smooth dough. Knead dough for approximately 5 minutes or until smooth. Once desired consistency has been reached (the dough should be thick enough to roll without sticking to a surface) refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from fridge and split into two portions - this will help with space and flattening of the dough. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin and cut out circles using a cookie cutter, plate, cup, etc.
- Using a spoon, scoop the desired amount of filling on to the center of each circle. Usually about 2-3 teaspoons per empanada. Remember, the more stuffing you can get in without overfilling, the better.
- Using a brush or your fingers, cover the inside edges of the circles with egg whites - this is optional, but will help seal the empanadas.
- Fold the empanadas and seal the edges with a fork. You may want to give the empanadas an egg wash to obtain a nice finishing color, but this is completely optional and will not impact the taste of the final product.
- Bake the filled empanadas for 20 minutes (or until golden) at 375F.
Homemade Chipotle Sauce
A nice subtle chipotle sauce to pair with your empanadas!
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 3/4 cup whole sour cream
- 1 chipotle pepper (or more depending on your little eater’s spice tolerance meter!) this can also be substituted with 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients inside the Baby Brezza 1-Step Food Maker Deluxe for 30 seconds.
- Serve with empanadas!
Adjust spice level according to your little eaters needs - if you find the above measurements to be too spicy, add extra mayo to tone down the level of heat.
Aisha is a Pakistani Canadian mother who found herself looking for ways to keep up with home cooking as a new mom of 3. She started her Instagram @baby.eatts to share simple and nutritious meals that she makes for her experienced eaters Zenya (8 years), and Aydin (6 years), and her new little eater, Amiri (6 months). With her recipes and tips, Aisha hopes to help other moms have a fun, easy, and fulfilling journey with their newest member at the dinner table.